Saturday, February 18, 2012

Questions. . .

2 Kings 2:1-12 is the story of Elijah being taken up, and Elisha sticking with him to the end.

This is another really strange story I've heard all my life and am now asking:
What's that mean??

Elijah is not long from his 40 days (plus) in the valley of darkness and depression [1 Kings 19]. (And of God's close presence. I've noticed that about depression. When I was depressed, I could sometimes hear that quiet voice. Sometimes not.)

As if God knows Elijah is burned out, he immediately sends him to choose and train his successor.
Did Elijah feel relieved? Chastened? Both?

We don't know how much time has passed since then--enough for a couple of small wars in 1 Kings 20 and a "turn of the year" in 20:26. Now Elijah is going to be "taken up," and apparently everyone in the community, at least the community of the prophets, knows it.
Why?

Elisha sticks like glue, because:
Obvious clinging to someone he didn't want to lose?
Determination not to miss out on something?
Passing some test of loyalty?
Fear?
All of the above?

He then asks for "a double portion of your spirit." Now, we might think he meant of God's Holy Spirit, but does he think of it that way? If so, why does he say "your spirit"? Does he mean he wants to be twice as strict and harsh as Elijah? (He will be.) Twice as powerful? Twice as close to God?

Elijah says, "If you see me go, yes. If not, no."
Why?

Chariots and horses of fire??

And of all the prophets, why did God choose Elijah for translation and later to encourage Jesus on the mount of transfiguration. Moses, I get. Elijah?

That's all I've got.
Questions. . .
I'm okay with that.
You?

No comments:

Post a Comment