Thursday, January 16, 2014

Light—Let It Be!


This little light of mine...
This is a photo I took of a friend's little solar light, reflecting on the snow. It seems particularly a propos, since it gets its light from the sun and has to recharge every day...

I have recently decided to read (slowly and painstakingly, my finger following each unaccustomed line from right to left under the Hebrew) the Interlinear Bible this year. I keep the old Strong’s next to me, and have already found some interesting questions, and I’ve only finished Genesis 1. (What, exactly, does it mean that the “lights in the heavens,” besides delineating days, months, and years, are also for signs—that is, “a signal…flag, beacon, monument, omen, prodigy [?!], evidence, etc.:--mark, miracle, (en-)sign, token”?) Just for one example…)

So when I looked at the lectionary for this week (those who are interested can find and follow it here: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Epiphany/AEpi2_RCL.html), I was intrigued that it just happens to be all about light this week.

Here’s the prayer, or “collect,” which I think is beautiful:

Almighty God, whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ is the light of the world: Grant that your people, illumined by your Word and Sacraments, may shine with the radiance of Christ's glory, that he may be known, worshipped, and obeyed to the ends of the earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen.”

It made me think of Daniel 12, and the promise that many will “shine like the stars,” when Jesus comes again and finally puts all darkness to flight.

Isaiah 49, a messianic prophecy which also has some enlightenment for all followers of God’s Way, says, “I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." The context makes it clear that Jesus is the one the passage is primarily speaking of, but Jesus himself said that we are also the light of the world.

I think if we hadn’t grown up singing “This little light of mine” and talking and hearing about this statement, we’d be pretty shocked by it. Me? The light of the world?! You’re kidding, right?

There is no argument about where the light comes from. All light. So the question is, are we lit from within by his Spirit? May we “shine with the radiance of Christ’s glory”!

How has light come to you, during the first two weeks of this new year?

How have you shared light during this same time?


No comments:

Post a Comment