Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sh'ma by the River



I have been considering the depths of the ancient prayer known as the Sh’ma for several years now. There is a great deal to consider, just in the first two lines.

Sh’ma Yis’ra’eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
V’ahav’ta eit Adonai Elohekha
b’khol l’vav’kha
uv’khol naf’sh’kha
uv’khol m’odekha.*

Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!
You shall love the LORD your God
with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your might.

In Luke 10: 27, answering the question of the lawyer, Jesus added “with all your mind.”
"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind.” (NASB)

I’ve been considering what it means to love God with all those elements of my whole self. We Westerners are very good at the mind part. So were the Jews. They and we love to debate and study and exegete. Lots of Christians enjoy the same today. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But it may not be particularly devotional.

This morning, by the river, I stood in the current (in my high boots, you understand!) and considered the mind and how it’s like the river. And I decided to do a series. It might ask more questions than it answers, but that’s okay. My hope is that it will raise emotions, too, not just brainwaves. (Well, not just beta waves, anyway. I suppose all our emotional states show up in our brainwaves.)

This week is the introduction. Here are the preliminary questions to consider:

How do you, personally, practice the deep love of the One God:
                --with all your heart?
                --with all your soul/spirit?
                --with all your mind?
                --with all your strength?

Each of the next four weeks, I’ll be pondering by the side of my borrowed river, and I’ll share my thoughts and questions with you. I hope you’ll share yours with me, too.



1 comment: